Through providing social services, advocacy and family law legal services, ReWA has empowered thousands of women to recover from violence and live healthy lives that are full of possibility.
If you need assistance during our Office closure, call Peace in the Home Helpline: 1(888) 847-7205.
Like women in the U.S., refugee and immigrant women can be at risk for domestic violence and sexual assault. However, the circumstances of international relocation expose them to a number of additional vulnerabilities to violence. Barriers to seeking help such as social isolation, economic insecurity, lack of accessibility to services, and immigration issues, can result in refugee and immigrant women remaining in situations characterized by violence.
Even though victims need help, they often have extreme fear of authorities, including representatives of social service, criminal and legal systems.
ReWA strives to increase the safety and well-being of refugee and immigrant women by raising awareness of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking and providing support to survivors.
Key components of the Domestic Violence program include
- Comprehensive support services in 17 languages
- Assistance with applying for protection orders, developing safety plans, and accessing safe shelters
- Help understanding and navigating the legal system
- Family law services, including separation and divorce
- Support groups for refugee and immigrant women who have experienced violence or who are at risk of violence
- Community education and outreach
- Consultation and educational training to service providers and law enforcement agencies
- Mental health counseling and consultation
- Referral to community resources for survivors of crime, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault
- After-hour cellphone helpline crisis calls in 7 different languages: Peace in the Home Helpline: 1(888) 847-7205
Domestic Violence brochures in English
Amharic – አማርኛ
Dari – فارسی دری
Swahili – Kiswahili
Somali – af Soomali
Spanish – español
Vietnamese – tiếng Việt
Arabic – العربية
Burmese – မြန်မာဘာသာ
Tigrinya – ትግርኛ